Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Brief intermission

An interesting discussion broke out yesterday. It concerns this blog, and the course.

In 3.13a I copied Sue's piece of writing for reviewing as per what I'd done as part of the course. I didn't think anything of it. I'd attributed it, and not tried to pass it off as my own work or anything, so that was that.

However little did I know, that by moving it from the (partially) secluded comments of the FutureLearn system into my blog I'd effectively made that piece of writing public. This would in most cases instantly disqualify it from any competitions, or other official avenues Sue might have wanted to take that piece in the future.

A moral quandary which the OU terms and conditions only help to make more fuzzy.

Discussion and arguments appeared on both sides, which I'm not interested in repeating here. It boils down to - whether technically allowed or not - me doing something which made several people uncomfortable.

So I apologise and will be adjusting my plans.

I will not be including the upcoming 'reviewing' parts of this course on this blog unless I receive specific permission from the author in question. 

A disappointing necessity which will potentially mean this blog won't be a full documentation of the course but unavoidable I think.

Thankfully Sue was kind enough to allow me to leave her part of 3.13 in place, so I don't have to delete anything.

FutureLearn is in Beta testing at the moment. Hopefully this event gets back to them and it might lead to some clarification on their website, or maybe even something like blog software within the FutureLearn site - thus negating this issue.

Anyhoo - enough of this. I've received 2 official feedback on my 13.11 piece and I think it's time to take a look at them. See you there shortly.

Happy Writing :)




2 comments:

  1. Very well done David. I admire how you've dealt with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud the spirit in which you took the fairly strong criticism you received for your action in posting that piece.
    I really think the criticism should be directed to the OU for not making it absolutely clear that pieces might be reproduced by them or by the students.
    You are right that they expressly say that it may be reproduced, amongst many other Ts&Cs; but there are two reasons why students might not wish their work to be reproduced. The first you mention, the second is the scenario where a student later becomes a celebrated writer but something posted in the course of which they are ashamed it is so poor is brought to public attention subsequently.
    Some have said they will no longer submit work, some have left the course due to this coming to light.

    ReplyDelete